Thursday, February 4, 2010

Application Letter Critique #2

Blk XX, #0X-XX-A
XX Prince XXXXXX’s Park
Singapore XXXXXX.
u080XXXX@nus.edu.sg

2nd February 2010

Ms. Eileen Ho
Senior Human Resource Executive
Wyeth Nutritionals (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
1 Tuas South Avenue 4
Singapore 637609.

Dear Ms. Eileen Ho,

APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF ASSISTANT CHEMIST

In reference to your advertisement in Jobstreet.com on 29 January 2010, I would like to apply for the position of Assistant Chemist with Wyeth Nutritionals. Please find my resume enclosed.

I am currently in my graduating year of the Bachelor of Applied Science (Hons.) majoring in Food Science and Technology (FST) at the National University of Singapore (NUS). In addition to my degree, I was attached to DSM Nutritional Products Asia Pacific in the quality assurance and control unit for five months. This opportunity has familiarized me with the operation of various laboratory instruments, which include high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), gas chromatography (GC) and atomic absorption spectroscopy (AAS) equipments as well as providing me experience in the nutritional industry. I am eager to apply my scientific knowledge and skills if I am given an opportunity to contribute to your company.

I believe I have the qualities that the job requires – an organized and meticulous individual with excellent analytical and problem solving skills. My position as a temporary clerk in Standard Chartered Bank has improved my organizational skills. As I do not believe that grades are the be-all and end-all of a student’s self-worth, I have taken the time to participate in co-curricular activities and take up leadership roles to develop my communication and interpersonal skills. Such examples include the NUS Rotaract Club and the NUS Food Science and Technology Society. Besides, I feel that I have demonstrated time management skills and self-motivation by balancing my co-curricular activities with study.

I am largely motivated to seek employment with Wyeth Nutrition due to its excellent reputation of R&D in pediatric nutrition. I would find the post of Assistant Chemist a valuable and exciting working experience, and I look forward to hearing from you soon. I am available for interview at your convenience anytime.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,




(my name)


Link to job advertisement: http://www.careersinwyeth.com.sg/jobs/jobdesc.asp?type=0&eid=2783794&jid=2212727&did=0&its=0&src=8&itn=

6 comments:

  1. Hi Valarie,

    Here are some suggestions which you might want to consider.

    1)"This opportunity has familiarized me..." This sentence doesn't sound quit right.

    2)"I am largely motivated to ..." = I am highly motivated......

    3)"I would find the post of Assistant Chemist a valuable and exciting working experience..." : a post is not an experience ? It is better if you had written "I would gain a valauble exprience from this post..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the format is quite good but perhaps you want to add something about your interest in the job.

    "I have taken the time to participate in co-curricular activities and take up leadership roles" seems wrong. Perhaps it should be to participate... and to take up leadership. Correct me if I am wrong.

    "Besides, I feel that I have demonstrated time management skills and self-motivation" should be I felt that I have demonstrated instead.

    Good luck on the letters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    I feel you have elaborated pretty well on your qualifications in the first paragraph but it was a bit cluttered and wordy, or maybe it's because the font was rather big. =)

    Perhaps you could elaborate more on each cca to the specifics as to how each developed the skills you needed, and also how in turn those skills (eg organization skills) would help you.

    Also, personally I feel that Assistant Chemist is a rather professional job which they may not give you due to you being a fresh graduate. Why not include a line about a possible internship experience?

    Hope my two cents' worth helped! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Val!

    I think your letter is pretty clear and it satifies the requirements for the job.

    However, I feel that this sentence may be a bit too long. This opportunity has familiarized me with the operation of various laboratory instruments, which include high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), gas chromatography (GC) and atomic absorption spectroscopy (AAS) equipments as well as providing me experience in the nutritional industry. Probably you would want to break it down.

    Probably you can include certain skills that you have developed after joining the ECA's that you have mentioned. I hope this helps. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm no expert on writing application letters, but I was thinking it would be good to mention any positions in the NUS Food Science & Technology Society and Rotoract club that taught you leadership skills.

    And the line, "Besides, I feel that I have demonstrated time management skills..." - perhaps it would be better to say "In addition,I feel...."?

    Also, you haven't included your phone number anywhere? Maybe you could throw it in the last paragraph when you mention you're available for an interview. Ofcourse, it's personal preference :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thanks guys for all your feedback! I am editting it according to your suggestions now!

    ReplyDelete