Saturday, April 17, 2010

ES2007S - Zooming Back To Where It All Started

Time: Sunday afternoon before Christmas, 2009
Venue: Water fountain at the basement of The Spring, Kuching
Main characters: Stephanie (S), Valarie (V)

While sipping on our canned drinks after lunch...
V: (grumbles) CORS bidding is here again. (groans) I don't know what to bid! What do you plan to bid, S?
S: Oh, I am planning to take one Singapore Studies and ES2007S other than the core modules.
V: (looks up in interest) Hmm... ES2007S? The Professional Communication module? Why that module?
S: I thought it would be interesting to learn how to write a good cover letter and resume.
V: Oh! But there are a lot of oral presentations, right? (cringes)
S: You bet! Are you interested?
V: (takes a sip from the canned drink) I will think about it. Oral presentations are not exactly my forte.
S: Do consider it! I will be choosing the Monday slot with Brad Blackstone. My senior told me he's good!
V: (smiles) Okay.

Two weeks later, I placed 1000 points from my Programme account to bid for ES2007S, determined to win the module. Eventually, I got it with 500 points. Victory!

My main objective in taking this module was to have the ability to produce a professional and impressive resume and cover letter. Also, I felt that it is essential for me to gain some knowledge in preparing for a job interview. These two skills seem extremely crucial to me as I planned to apply for internships during the upcoming summer vacation. NUS Career Centre may provide the seminars to respond to such demands. However, I prefer to have someone else proofread my work and give me feedback instead of merely attending a seminar and being thrown with all the necessary facts. I believe I still have much room for improvement, but I am now not as clueless in writing professionally for job applications, as well as knowing what to expect in job interviews. Obeying the 7Cs in my writing as well as speech would aid in giving a better impression to the employers, too.

Despite the goal I set out to achieve, I walked away with other skills that I realised somewhere during the semester that are equally important in the professional setting. One such skill I actually gained a lot is in the oral presentation. I believe I posess a lot more confidence in delivering my presentation and am equipped with the knowledge to capture the attention of the audience.

Besides that, ES2007S has changed my perception towards teamwork, especially with people I am not close with. Previously, I generally avoid modules that require me to work collaboratively on projects and even if I have to (such as core modules), I would choose my close friends who I am comfortable working with. Now, I would say working with people I don't really know has been an interesting experience. Other than widening my social circle, I have learnt a little bit more about the culture in other countries. Indeed, it was a blessing for me to be able to work with great teammates, all from different places of origin with different cultures.

Now 13 weeks has passed and one semester is almost over. We - the Firebenders (along with other teams) - submitted the final proposal and delivered our final presentation. Reflecting back, this module is one of the modules I don't think I will ever regret. Despite its hectic workload and clash with several other deadlines at times, leading to our sleepless nights and faces full of pimples, I actually had fun and made a lot of friends I never thought was possible within one semester. I left our final tutorial session with a heavy heart, bidding goodbye to all of my classmates. Although I know everyone will part ways eventually, leading our own lives, I do hope that we constantly keep in touch over Facebook.

Before I end this blog entry, I would like to thank Brad and all of my classmates for making ES2007S such an enjoyable experience for me and also Stephanie for persuading me to take up this module. Finally, thank you very much for the cake and sparkling juice, See Chai!

Oh! And everyone, good luck in your finals!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Val, I think I share your sentiments. I didn't really like to work with strangers as well but it turned out to be quite a positive experience this time round. Personally, even though I play team sports, I think for a lot of things I cannot really work as a team well with others because there was always a lack of trust somewhere. However, I could trust my teammates without much question this time round for reasons I cannot really explain haha. Actually, I find that we're very lucky to have Brad as our tutor as well as having a very cohesive, friendly and responsible group of classmates. They constantly help each other and maybe that was how the trust was built up. So thank you everyone!

    Alright good luck for your finals. See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very creative approach, Valarie! I like the intro as dialogue, which underscores how real decision-making questions lead to students joining and experiencing ES2007S.

    I also like the fact that you've focused your reflection on the OP and teamwork.I'm glad that in both areas you pushed yourself, to good results!

    In any case, Val, your communication study journey is still at a very early stage. I wish you all the best as you continue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now,I know why the bidding points for this time slot was 500 points...

    Project work and piles of assignments do give me lots of pimples too.So our lecturers are our cause for our pimples!

    I also think that the career seminars offered by NUS career centre is rather ineffective.The information provided by them can be found on the internet as well. It is better to attend tutorials or classes where you gain more attention and receive better feedback from the instructor.

    I think all of us are fortunate to have team mates whom we can bond with. I heard of alot of nasty stories about group projects of other modules.

    It is definitely a pleasant experience to work with you and the rest of our classmates. Good luck for your exams! Let's all sip canned drinks together soon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. VALARIEE!!!

    Haha, I can't believe my name actually appeared on your blog! LOL! But since it's for a good reason, I'm more than honoured. Haha.

    Yup, that was flashback of months ago. Yes, I believe that together and with the rest of the class, we learnt more about Communicating effectively. Nothing beats practice itself when it comes to soft skills like this.

    I'm glad that you learnt from the project work. Yes, in fact the idea of Brad assigning us to the different teams is very practical. Getting to work with other people and I have to agree that learning not only comes from the final work but also as we progressed on the work.

    All the best for finals! See you around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jude: I suppose teamwork requires a lot of trust and your teammates have proved themselves that they are trustworthy people to work with. Perhaps we have gotten much better in giving constructive criticisms too, instead of harbouring ill feelings and doing it everything yourself?

    @ Brad: Thanks a lot for the memorable experience with ES2007S. I will definitely continue my journey in improving my communication skills. Take care and see you when I see you!

    @ Deenise: Hehehe! *grins* Well, I have too much points to spare. Yeap, my boyfriend went to one of their seminars in 2008 and told me it was completely useless. Waste of money, waste of time. It is indeed a blessing that we get such responsible teammates. Perhaps everyone feels more willing to contribute in this module, with the atmosphere generated. Canned drinks? Sure sure, doesn't necessarily have to be canned drinks, though. Haha!

    @ Steph: Hehehe! Honoured?! You better be! Hahahaha! We shall apply this to our food product development project in the future. We shall write with 7Cs and we shall present like we own the place. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Val! Hurhur! You were one of those that caused the bidpoints for Brad's class to be THAT high! Although the workload for this module is O_O! it was worth it afterall isn't it? I mean the skills that we learnt and obtained through the experiences cannot be bought or learnt from other modules right? I was glad that Steph and you were taking this module too! I'll feel so lost without the two of you! ): haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now aren't you glad I called us the Firebenders? Spiffy name eh? Doesn't it make you proud to be a FIREBENDER!!

    Like you, I too feel more prepared for job interviews. The only problem is I haven't been called for any yet - and I'm rearing to go! SOMEBODY HIRE ME I WILL BRING YOU COFFEE EVERYDAY!

    Ok sorry how I digress. I found all the teamwork a wonderful experience and it's you guys I have to thank. See you round Val!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valarie!

    I HAD THE EXACT SAME CONVERSATION WITH DEENISE!! Haha. Well, the jist of it. I think what Brad did to shift us around for various assignments helped the class gel together very well. And it constantly placed us in situations where we had to work with people we have not worked with before and constantly brought us out of our comfort zone. Which I must say is going to help us eventually in the working world. But I am glad that I have gotten to know you. Especially during the interview process where we had to put on serious faces interviewing the rest of our classmates :)

    See you around :))

    ReplyDelete