Monday, April 12, 2010

Fearless... Not

Now that I am done with my other deadline (hurrah!), here's a recap of what I feel about my presentation.

I remember vividly that my first presentation in NUS was done with Stephanie during our first year first semester. Indeed, I was not keen at all in presenting. Well, nobody was! Since then, never in my wildest dreams did I think of voluntarily taking a module with a lot of presentations. Well, things do not always go the way you planned!

It was like any other Mondays, except I did not feel like it was a typical Monday. As I approached S9A-0103, the butterflies in my stomach started fluttering. Taking in deep breaths helped, but only for a while.

Class started, The Vans were presenting in front. Initially, it was easy to concentrate, but then I started noticing my stomach churning. I fidgeted in my seat, thinking "Oh boy, I seriously need the washroom." I scribbled a note over to LinHui, "Pssst.... Toilet!" She smiled and nodded in agreement.

Fast forward 20 minutes later, before we knew it, it was finally over! I thought I improved in my presentation this time round as compared to the previous peer teaching. I recalled that I stayed rooted in one spot throughout peer teaching, except for the tutorial sessions. Now, I seemed more comfortable moving in front of the room during this presentation. Also, I thought my eye contact with the audience improved quite a bit. I had my eyes lingering at one person longer than I did during peer teaching, although I admit I kept staring at See Chai and Stephanie more than the rest, which I think the reasons are rather obvious *grins*.

It was also my initial plan to bring my cue cards up while presenting, to say truthfully. It was practically my Bible! I thought that even if I would not be using it, at least it would give me a sense of comfort. That was until I read Deenise's blog Monday morning that totally struck me. I know every single detail of the project at the back of my hand, then why would I even need those? Besides, it would be nice to step out from the comfort zone to learn new things. It proved to be a wise move as it gave me more comfort in moving my hands and engaging myself with the audience. Previously, I had my hands full with one holding my cue cards while the other holding the remote during peer teaching!

However, I have to admit that I feel much more at ease during my peer teaching, feeling more prepared than what I felt during the oral presentation. I suppose the tiny glitch had to do with how nervous I felt at the time.

During the preparation of the presentation, I colour-coded my notes just like what I did for my peer teaching as I am a visual learner. It proved to be useful. As given during the feedback session for the Firebenders, it would be better for us to include some visual aids in our presentation slides. Nonetheless, our team has done quite a nice job in keeping the slides the minimalist style but yet still informative.

Working with LinHui, Ranmali and Ye Thu Win was indeed a great pleasure. Everyone was equally committed to the project, giving ideas, organizing and composing our smashing proposal and our oral presentation afterwards. Late night meetings at Central Forum armed with our laptops would probably be the fond memories I hold dear to my heart.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Valarie, I thought you had your usual confidence when your presented today. Also, you were in control and the delivery was strong. However, you know that sometimes you can get carried away and become too forceful right? Haha. Other than that small slip-up, I think it was a good performance. Good job and see you on thursday!

    cheers,
    sy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val,great presentation today! You were convincing and confident of your points. I felt that you were more natural today as compared to the peer teaching session we had.

    One thing that I thought I should bring up would be the part on eye contact. Although, I could see that you were scanning the class but your eye contact didn't stay for very long to make me feel connected. Probably for presentations in future your eye contact with could last longer? (:

    Anyway, awesome presentation! Loves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Valarie,

    Excellent presentation! Liked it that you did not use notes yet was still able to carry out your presentation with such confidence and surity of yourself. You blanked the screen too and took centre-stage when you brought the audience's attention and focus to yourself. Great voice projection as well, except for that little slip up when you were abit too forceful :P

    You did try to give eye contact. But I noticed that especially when you were trying to recall what to say, you would return to scanning the class and lose the eye contact. One way of trying to recall what to say without losing eye contact could be to speak abit slower, it could buy you more time to remember what to say.

    All the best for exams :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Valarie!

    I must admit I was one of the first to laugh when you suddenly increased the volume of your voice so drastically it was shocking! I apologise for that because it was quite rude but I must say that that really helped to increase my attention so I guess it was a good strategy after all!

    Loved the confidence and the passion you had for your group's presentation and great job done! :)

    Kellyn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Valarie,

    I think your presentation was good overall but I just want to bring your attention to one minor point. You should try to soften your delivery as you can sound rather harsh. Besides that, you definately had good voice projection and eye contact.

    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY VALERIE!

    Our presentation was finally over! I think you were better in this presentation than during peer teaching. During peer teaching, I find that you were a little too pushy with your delivery but this time you were convincing with the appropriate degree. As for the cue cards, you did not need them at all. When we were rehearsing, you already knew what to say and who knows the FST programme better than you right? So I am glad you did not use them in the end.

    I had a lot of fun working with you throughout the project. Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone and thanks for all your comments.

    @ Soon Yee, Kellyn and Geraldine: Yeap, even when I was speaking, I felt the forcefulness in my voice. However, I have no idea why I did not let it down a little bit. Perhaps trying to hide how nervous I felt? =D

    @ Shih Han and Tiffany: Yeap, I am still trying to improve on that! =D Thanks for the tip, Tiffany. I have the tendency to speak very fast when I get nervous or excited.

    @ LinHui: Yo teammate! Wow! I never thought I'd do better in this presentation than the peer teaching, owing to how I felt. You are quite true about not needing the cue cards. Knowing the whole curriculum of FST proves to be an advantage eh?

    ReplyDelete